POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov D&D Maps : Re: Pov D&D Maps Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov D&D Maps
From: Tom Melly
Date: 12 Nov 2003 11:22:08
Message: <3fb25e30@news.povray.org>
"Jettero Heller" <pov### [at] voltar-confedorg> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] corkyvoltar-confedorg...

> Problem 1 is figuring out terragen or worldmap or whatever so I
> can make some terrain.  I'm not really sure how to import things
> I make in either of those ... So this step is the most
> challenging.

You basically need to export an image output from these and use them as a height
field. See section 6.5.1.5. of the docs..

> Problem 2 is how to place objects on the surface of the
> heightfields (or whatever).  That shouldn't be too hard.

Use trace (some hf progs allow the export of co-ordinates, but IMHO trace is
easier). Check section 6.1.4.6 (Vector functions).

> And Problem 3 is how to place the grid over the map.  Just
> thin cylinders?  Is that a good way?

Dunno what the best solution is, but I'd try using an object pattern - see
6.7.11.23 of the docs.

I'm not sure how much you want to play around with these suggestions, or how
much additional help you want, but by all means ask for further
clarification/examples.

Oh, BTW, you're going to hell iirc -
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp